Agri-footprint 6.3 is now available for purchase via openLCA Nexus. The new Agri-footprint 6.3 database includes many updates, the largest of which is the expansion of Animal Production systems (from 4 animal production systems in Agri-footprint 5 to 37 animal production systems in Agri-footprint 6). The geographical scope now covers 63 countries. An overview of the upgrades from Version 5 are summarized in the table below.
Specifically, the animal production systems expansion includes:
- Dairy: Belgium, Brazil, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, United Kingdom, United States.
- Pig breeding and fattening: Belgium, Brazil, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, Great Britain, North America, the Netherlands, Europe.
- Broiler breeding and fattening: Brazil, China, France, Japan, the Netherlands, Thailand, United States.
- Pullet rearing and egg production: the Netherlands, North America, Europe.
The datasets have been developed with state-of-the-art methodology and data sources. Emissions calculations were performed using our Animal Production System (APS) Footprint tool (APS-footprint), which enables consistent use of up-to-date LCA methodology. The Life Cycle Inventories (LCIs) are mostly based on secondary data, from sources such as peer review publications, Global Livestock Environmental Assessment Model (GLEAM) databases and National Inventory Reports (NIR). Together with experts we review and improve the data.
Improvements of the dairy datasets
The dairy datasets were developed in parallel with the EF 3.0 agri-food database development in collaboration with the European Dairy Association (EDA). These datasets were reviewed by regional dairy production experts, increasing reliability and representativeness.
Other new components of Agri-footprint 6.3
- Update of activity data:
- Cultivation data (e.g. yield, manure, Land Use Change)
- Market mix data
- Prices of meals and oils (allocation)
- Improvement of modelling:
- Peat oxidation for all crops
- IPCC 2019 modelling
- Post-harvest data based on country specific data
- Regional artificial fertilizer production
- Replacement of background data:
- From ELCD to ecoinvent for energy use, materials, chemicals, transport and infrastructure
Documentation: Methodology reports publicly available
The methodology report of Agri-footprint are publicly available and contain background information on the methodology, calculation rules, and the data used to develop the data published in the database.
Where to obtain it and license types
Download the database in our market place for LCA data, openLCA Nexus: https://nexus.openlca.org/database/Agri-footprint
There are Research and Commercial licenses available. Research Licenses are meant for research institutions, university students, and other research organizations. Your email must be verified in order to purchase a Research license. Commercial Licenses are for use. For Developer licenses (integration into platform, tool, service) please contact Blonk directly at email@example.com.
Future developments of Agri-footprint
Blonk continuously works on expansion and improvement of the Agri-footprint database. In the coming year they will work on expansion of agri-commodity data and setting up more review groups for defining national representative datasets. They expect to release the next version of Agri-footprint in 2024.